Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Notes on a Failed Short Story Workshopped in a Creative Writing Class

The short story that became known as 'Home Help' went through a long and at times uncomfortable gestation period (not unlike Ellie's pregnancy in the story). The birth itself, however, was relatively painless. This is due in no small part to the workshopping process.

I had all but given up on the idea entirely before the story was workshopped, but some good advice saved it, and the resulting changes were made quite easily. It seems that there was always a story in there somewhere, it just needed a bit of a yank to come out. One important change was the removal of the opening flashback, which was rightly criticised for being a bit 'stuck-on'. Some of the stronger images resurfaced in a different part of the story and on the whole the balance of the piece was improved.

The most significant alteration, however, came when I was persuaded to drop the incestuous elements. It was a difficult decision, but necessary to make the story palatable. I am convinced that the change did not lessen the impact of the story, but it did result in a change of title, which is a shame because I liked 'Hoovering for Granddad'.

No comments:

Post a Comment